Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Faith, Family, & Football

There are three things in my life that are a huge part of who I am: Faith, Family, & Football. Sometimes I don't always prioritize them in the order they should be. I recently made a difficult decision that shows I try to practice what I preach. Over the past few months, Charlie has been waking up and immediately asking Momma "Where's Papa at?" She gives the usual response of "Charlie, where's Papa?" And he responds back "At work with the kids."

During the day, I call home to catch up on their day and see how things are going. Libby is usually at school, AJ is usually being held for the 6th hour straight, and Charlie gets on the phone and asks "Papa, when are you going to be home?" This boy is starving for me! I feel such great love from my kids!

My typical work day in the fall would consist of teaching, then coaching football, coming home when it's dark out for a brief visit with my wife and kids before bed, and working on some photography business. Because I have some students multiple periods throughout their day, I spend more time with someone else's kids than I do my own! Something was wrong with that!

Following my priorities, I'm obeying my faith in what I believe God wants me to do as I spend more time with my family by resigning from coaching football for a few years. Instead of investing that time with someone else's kids, I'm going to go home and play catch with my own!

What priorities are you trying to keep straight in your life?

1 comment:

cmcguck said...

Aw, so glad to hear. I know the little bit of extra football money is nice, but... I already feel like I'm counting down the years I have left with my kids; they grow up so fast. Dan & I went on a bike ride yesterday. Not expecting him to take me up on my offer, I asked Jor if he wanted to go along. He actually said YES! It almost didn't work out, because he's totally outgrown his bike, but it was a wonderful time! (Damon was in trouble and taking a nap.) Have a fantastic week!